The Kingdom of the Netherlands is a constitutional Monarchy. It consists of 12 administrative provinces and has dependent areas from its times as a colonial power (Aruba, Antilles). Historically, the Netherlands were one of the first Republics in modern time constitutional history.
History and News
- 12 Sep 2012: Elections for the dissolved Parliament.
- 25 April 2012: Prime Minister Mark Rutte dissolves the Parliament at the request of the Queen Beatrix.
- 23 April 2012: Prime Minister Mark Rutte submits the resignation of his cabinet to the Queen Beatrix.
- 14 Oct 2010: Mark Rutte is elected as the new Prime Minister.
- 27 June 2008: Amendment of the Constitution
- 16 March 2006: Amendment of the Constitution
- 1 June 2005: The people reject the referendum, which concerns the Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe.
- 20 Jan 2005: Amendment of the Constitution
- 7 Feb 2002: Amendment of the Constitution
- 22 June 2000: Amendment of the Constitution
- 6 Oct 1999: Amendment of the Constitution
- 25 Feb 1999: Amendment of the Constitution
- 10 July 1995: Amendment of the Constitution
- 3 June 1987: Amendment of the Constitution
- 17 Feb 1983: Thorough Revision of the Constitution.
- 30 April 1980: Accession of Queen Beatrix to the throne.
- 6 Sep 1948: Accession of Queen Juliana to the throne.
- 6 Sep 1898: Accession of Queen Wilhelmina to the throne, soon after her 18th birthday on 31 Aug.
- 1815: Adoption of the Constitution.
- 1814: Proclamation of Prince Frederic Wiliam as king. Foundation of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- 1813: Defeat of Napoleon; return of Prince Frederic Wiliam.
- 1795: Occupation by France.
- 1648: The Repulic is recognised in international law in the Treaty of Muenster/Westphalia, thereby formalizing the independence from Spain.
- 1581: Removal of Philip II from his feudal rights by the "Act of Abjuration" of the Estates-General.
- 1579: Independence from Spain.
- 1568: Open revolt against King Philip in some areas of the netherlands.
For methodology see:
Comparing Constitutions and International Constitutional Law.
1994 - 27.6.2020
/ Thanks to A. Meister. / For corrections please contact